Feb 24, 2024
The BSME-MSE Accelerated Master’s (AM) Degree offers the opportunity for outstanding Mechanical Engineering students who are still pursuing the Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) to begin earning credit toward the Master of Science in Engineering (MSE).
BSME-MSE AM students must have a cumulative undergraduate GPA of at least 3.2 to be conditionally admitted into the MSE program. Students may not enroll in graduate courses until they have:
- completed all requirements for the Core Curriculum;
- completed a minimum of 90 hours of undergraduate work, including at least 18 hours of upper-level courses in the major; and
- been conditionally admitted to a master’s program.
Conditional admission does not guarantee full admission to the program. Criteria for full admission to the MSE program are:
- Conferral of the BSME degree (student must file Application for Graduation for Bachelor’s in year 4);
- Cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0; and
- Satisfaction of all requirements for admission to the MSE program prior to the start of year 5 (entrance test scores, statement of purpose, recommendations, etc.).
- An updated undergraduate plan of study, outlining all requirements for the BSME degree completion and listing the graduate courses that will be posted to the baccalaureate transcript, must be approved by the student’s academic advisor.
- Before an undergraduate BSME-MSE AM student may register for graduate courses, an AM Application Form indicating the courses to be taken for graduate credit must be approved by the College, the Department, and the Graduate School.
- Graduate Coursework:
- BSME-MSE AM students may apply a maximum of 6 graduate hours to the BSME degree. Graduate coursework in the following areas will not count in the BSME-MSE AM program toward the BSME degree: travel study, independent study/project/research, directed study, directed readings, practicum, internships, other field-based placement, or thesis;
- Grades earned in graduate-level courses must meet the minimum GPA required by the Graduate School of 3.00. Graduate courses in which a GPA is less than 3.00 may be counted towards satisfaction of the BSME degree but not towards the MSE degree;
- To remain in an BSME-MSE AM degree program, the student must maintain at least a 3.00 overall GPA in graduate coursework.
- The graduate hours taken to fulfill baccalaureate degree requirements will be fully transferable to the MSE degree and will show on both the graduate and undergraduate transcripts.
- The BSME degree must be awarded following the completion of the undergraduate degree requirements and at least two semesters before the graduate degree is awarded.
- If an AM student requests admission to any other master’s program (or does not complete the MSE degree within the prescribed time), the joint hours posted to the graduate transcript will be removed.